Learn how to harness the power of your mind to make your dreams come true! Visualization is a powerful tool you can use to achieve your goals. In today’s article, I’ll walk you step-by-step through the process, so that you too can visualize your goals and achieve them more easily.
An Overview of the Visualization Process:
1. Start by identifying several (4 – 10) dreams you have for your life. These can be fairly general, or more specific, it doesn’t matter yet. Examples might include: travel Europe, write a book, have a net worth of $2 million, own my own business, get married, lose weight, run a marathon, etc
2. Now you need to use your creative powers a bit more, and figure out what kind of lifestyle you want to live, and what kind of lifestyle you need to live to make your dreams actuality. For example, if your dream is to travel Europe, then you would either need to earn and save plenty of money to make this possible, or you need to have a job that you can do from your laptop that you carry with you. If your dream is to get married, then your lifestyle needs to include activities that make you attractive to who you want to attract and time available for dating. These are just a few examples though. Using your dreams, answer each of the following questions about your dreams:
- In what setting would you need to live?
- What resources (time, money, space, etc) would you need to have?
- What would you do for work?
- Where do you work?
- Do you have employees? How many?
- Who would your friends be?
- What would you do for fun?
- How would you relax?
- Where would you go on vacation?
- What would you do first thing in the morning?
- What would you spend your morning on? Afternoon? Evening?
- What time would you go to bed?
- How big would your house be?
- Who would clean your house?
- What time do you wake up/ go to bed?
- Who (or what kind of people) helps you?
- What kind of people do you help? (Who are your customers?)
- What about achieving your dream do you find satisfying?
- What impact will you have on the world (other people) by achieving your dream?
Answering these questions about your dreams will help you to imagine the actual details of your lifestyle. Many people try to use “visualization” to achieve their goals, but the vision they have is so shallow that it has no real impact on their lives and doesn’t actually inspire change.
Side note: right now, we are focusing on the lifestyle that you need to have, so we are just using general goals to help you visualize that lifestyle. However, once we are actually working on the goals themselves, we will be much more specific and make “S.M.A.R.T.” goals. For now, your main goal is just getting your life in order, so that later you can achieve bigger goals.
3. Now that you’ve worked out many of the concrete details of your new lifestyle, it will be much easier for you to visualize what that lifestyle actually looks like. Close your eyes and imagine living that life. Generally, the easiest way to do this is to imagine a complete day in this fantasy life. Imagine waking up and looking at the alarm clock (it is the time you imagine waking up at); imagine jumping out of bed full of energy and excited about that first thing you always like to do in the morning; imagine the healthy, tasty breakfast you take the time to eat; imagine every little detail of this dream lifestyle. By first focusing on the specifics (what you do, when, with who, etc), you’ll be able to more easily imagine what the world looks and feels like (everything in order (tidy and clean), everything on time, everything remembered).
This vision is what you are working towards. By making it exactly what you want it to be, exactly how to want it, and then visualizing it to make it real, you are making a dream that is both personal and tangible. THAT is what will have the power to truly motivate you to change.
Sometimes, along this journey, you might feel tired, or lazy, or like it is “too hard” (it’s not). To prevent that, every morning, for just a few minutes, you will revisit this vision that you have for your future. As you imagine this reality daily, you will find it more and more convincing, and you will naturally live more and more in alignment with the lifestyle you want to create.
You will also be developing the skill of visualizing, which will come in quite handy later on when you are working to achieve other goals in your life. Right now, we are going to focus just on this “ordered lifestyle” goal, so that you can take care of that first. Later, you can visualize other goals, but for now, just stick to this one.
Whenever you don’t feel like doing the needed work, you can revisit this powerful vision that you have. Walk yourself through one of your ideal days. Ask yourself: what would that future me do, in my ideal lifestyle? Then, do it. Do the thing, and you will have the power. Because– you are that future you.